Position: Strategic Lead – Results
In its fifth decade of continuous quest to respond to the emerging realities and changing paradigms of community empowerment, Gram Vikas aspires to consolidate and build on the learning and rich experiences gained with communities. The Gram Vikas Decade V strategic approach guides this process. The new approach and methods has necessitated changes in the organizational structure, processes and overall way of functioning.
Democratizing leadership – a new approach for organizational governance
To meet these aspirations, we have introduced an approach of management and execution that democratizes leadership across the organization. Appropriate structures are being evolved and experimented with, for participatory governance and planning, decision making and accountability to results across all levels in the organisation. Decision-making responsibilities are being delegated to the appropriate levels through collegial platforms established, from the field level teams to the senior management.
Creating the leadership team at the apex
To introduce the new leadership and governance model at the apex, a strategic leadership team is being set up, with a defined set of executive functions that are closely connected to the role and functions of the Executive Director. Three Strategic Lead positions will function in close coordination with each other and the Executive Director.
· Resource Management: Mobilising donor resources for programmatic and organisational needs
· Performance Management: Ensuring capacity building and motivation of staff members at all levels so as to ensuring efficiency, effectiveness, ownership and quality in performance of the staff and that of extended human resource networks
· Results Management: Planning for achievement of results in different programme areas and review and monitoring of progress and generating evidence for reporting.
The positions of Strategic Lead-Resources and Strategic Lead-Performance will be filled through internal selection.
Applications are invited from interested, eligible candidates for the position of Strategic Lead-Results.
Roles and Responsibilities
The Strategic Lead (SL), Results will lead the programme planning, monitoring and evaluation systems.
S/he will design strategies, frameworks and tools for measuring results that meet the needs of different internal and external stakeholders. S/he will be required to facilitate, coordinate, monitor and review operations of programme teams/function in terms of quality, performance, results and outreach. S/he will help put in place appropriate Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) systems for the organisation. S/he will cause the deployment of cost effective and efficient MIS as well as field level data collection tools for measurement of outputs, outcomes and impacts as per indicators of the MEL framework. S/he will lead the process of Identifying, deploying and managing Information and Communication Technologies within the organization for easy access to information, effective reporting and transparency.
The SL Results will conduct reviews, reflection and sharing exchanges for measuring processes and outcomes regularly. The role will include providing inputs to the HR, Finance and Accounts units to review performance on the ground, glean ideas, learn from experience, and suggest course correction through MIS. S/he has to also ensure that the organization accesses data from the field, process the information to serve as inputs for decision-making at different levels of the organization. S/he will ensure that necessary data and information is available, in required formats, to meet the information and reporting needs of various donors and stakeholders.
S/he will ensure that field studies and action research that contribute to the organization’s pool of knowledge and practice are undertaken. S/he will support staff members at various levels with necessary technology proficiency and groom young professionals of Gram Vikas on MIS and MEL related activities and processes.
The role demands working in close coordination with other Strategic Leads, Management Groups, Communication team and other functions for communication and dissemination of Gram Vikas’s works to the ecosystem. S/he will be required to represent Gram Vikas on relevant platforms as needed and promote and facilitate learning and collaboration efforts across teams and contribute to knowledge building within Gram Vikas.
Key Competencies and Experience requirements
To be considered for the position of Strategic Lead, applicants will need to fulfil the following criteria.
· At least ten years of relevant experience in the development sector, of which at least three years in a leadership position in a comparable organisation/project
· Technical knowledge related to results management, monitoring, learning and evaluation, technology applications etc.
· Demonstrated ability to plan and analyse effectiveness of initiatives
· Demonstrated ability to appreciate interconnections and think holistically
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively through verbal and written medium
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualities and competencies
· Openness and flexibility to adapt to emerging situations and realities from the field
· Carries a spirit of collaboration for achieving shared goals in the team
· Facilitating group problem-solving and decision-making
· Interpersonal skills for listening, responding and relating
· Ability to receive and give feedback
· Is a team builder
· Ability to inspire
· Ability to build and nurture a learning and ‘challenging’ climate in the organization
· Ability to build networks and connections
Terms of engagement
The SL Results will report to the Executive Director and will be located at the Registered Office of Gram Vikas at Mohuda near Brahmapur in Ganjam district of Odisha. The initial appointment will be for a period of one year, after which the engagement may be extended based on mutual agreement.
The total cost to organisation for the position will be ₹ 12 lakh per annum. The remuneration package includes:
· Contribution to Employees Provident Fund, Gratuity and EDLI, as per extant rules
· Group medical insurance for self; coverage for family members on payment
· Leave Travel Allowance (from second year of service)
· Reimbursement of accommodation expenses, as per organisational norms, where official accommodation is not provided
· Communication allowance, as per organisational norms
· Reimbursement of travel expenses and daily allowance, as per organisational norms
The selection process will be carried out in the following stages:
1. Shortlisting based on written submission
2. Intensive final selection process in Bhubaneswar over a period of three days, consisting of a set of tasks and interactions.
The selection process will be carried out by a panel consisting of members of the Gram Vikas Governing Board and independent experts.
Interested, eligible applicants may submit their application consisting of the following:
1. Curriculum Vitae
2. An expression of interest substantiating the application
3. A written statement of intent which covers a responses to the following questions:
o Your life journey – how has personal and work life unfolded so far, any significant milestones that have contributed in shaping you – in terms of the choices you have made and the beliefs and values you hold, your culture and family context.
o What are some key successes/ achievements/ best practices in your professional life that you are proud of. What are the factors that have led to these practices? What has been your role in creating this situation?
o What are practices/ systems or event(s), which in your opinion, are not working well and not serving the mandate of the projects that you have taken up? What are factors that have led to practices? What has been your role in creating the situation?
o How would a person close to you describe five of your biggest strengths and five areas of improvement.
Completed applications in the form detailed above should be sent by email to email@example.com
Last date for receipt of applications is 18th July 2022.